I use this method for falling asleep, whenever my mind wants to
worry itself and keep me awake: I just go through this list of things I like, and I never get very far down the line before–oh, it’s morning! Make your own list and try it.
As I lay me down to rest
I count some things I like the best,
And if I’m not asleep by 10
I start from 1 and count again.
1. A sharp-eyed red fox perched on a stone wall in Yosemite.
2. Two pale green eggs from my neighbors’ little chickens.
3. Three white-trunked birch trees in front of a tall red house.
4. The Ink Spots, singing “If I Didn’t Care”
5. A very tall, large Christmas tree, fragrant of pine, decorated with hundreds of beautiful and clever ornaments made by art students.
6. Six small, fluffy white clouds in a row, in a blue sky.
7a. The seven dwarfs (but I can’t remember one of the names: Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Doc, and ?
7b. Second movement, Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony.
8. El Capitan seen from the entrance to Yosemite Valley.
9. A library with cozy armchairs.
10. An old dimestore that smells like popcorn.